Sarah’s Spicy Curry Turkey Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups
- low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 3 small red potatoes (diced)
- 3 cups cooked turkey (skin removed, diced)
- Optional garnish: cranberry sauce
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in flour, curry powder, and cinnamon and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Pour in chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
4. Bring to a simmer. Then add carrots, spinach, potatoes, and turkey.
5. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low.
6. Simmer (covered) for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve in bowls and garnish with a spoonful of cranberry sauce.
% of Calories from Fat:
Editor’s Note: This recipe is reposted with permission by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. For additional healthy recipes and cooking tips visit: choosemyplate.gov