WHAT IS WILLPOWER?
Willpower is the ability to resist short-term temptations in order to meet long-term goals. Many associate willpower with determination, drive, resolve, self-discipline, but most psychologists say it's:
- The ability to delay gratification, resisting short-term temptations in order to meet long-term goals
- The capacity to override an unwanted thought, feeling or impulse
- Controlling emotions, like trying to change your mood
- Conscious, effortful regulation of the self by the self
- A limited resource capable of being depleted