Three Sisters Stew
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 cup onions , diced
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups red potatoes, cubed (or 1½ cans, about 24 ounces, low-sodium sliced potatoes, drained)
- 2 tomatoes , diced (or 1 can, about 15 ounces, low-sodium diced tomatoes , drained)
- 1 can (15 ounces) low-sodium tomato sauce
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels (or ¼ can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium whole kernel corn , drained)
- ½ cup yellow squash , diced (or ¼ can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium sweet potatoes , drained and diced)
- ½ cup green squash, diced (or ¼ can, about 4 ounces, low-sodium carrots , drained)
- ½ can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium kidney beans , drained
- ½ can (about 8 ounces) low-sodium vegetarian beans
- ¼ cup quick cooking oats
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1.In a small skillet, brown ground beef and onions over medium to high heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain fat.
2.In a large pot, combine cooked ground beef, water, and red potatoes.
3.Bring the pot to a boil and cook for 15 minutes.
4.Add all the other ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 25 minutes. Tip for cooking ground beef: The recommended safe minimum internal temperature for ground beef is 160 degrees F, as measured with a food thermometer.
% of Calories from Fat:
Editor’s Note: This recipe is reposted with permission by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. For additional healthy recipes and cooking tips visit: choosemyplate.gov