Chipotle-Lime Three Bean Salad
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce*
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
Place the black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans in a large bowl. Add the shallot, bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
In a small dish, stir together the chipotle in adobo sauce, sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest.
Pour the dressing over the beans and stir to coat. Place the bean salad in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving to let the flavors blend.
This is the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo. If you want your salad extra spicy, place the dressing ingredients in a small food processor, and add a whole chipotle pepper with the sauce. Purée and pour over the bean dressing. In a pinch, substitute 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder for the sauce.
% of Calories from Fat:
Editor’s Note: The recipe was originally posted by Paramount Citrus and is reposted with the approval of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture. For additional healthy recipes and cooking tips visit: choosemyplate.gov